How do I take a throat swab sample?
Relax and follow these simple steps
A throat swab can test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea if you’ve had oral (in your mouth) sex.
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Unpack your kit and lay it out on a clean surface, ideally near a mirror.
- Wipe the swab firmly around the back of your throat, on both sides. Do this a few times
- Swabbing might make you gag or cough but it shouldn’t hurt.
- Try not to touch your tongue or teeth with the swab.
- Pop the swab back inside its tube and push tightly to close the seal.