How do I take a rectal (bottom) sample?
Relax and follow these simple steps
A rectal swab can test for chlamydia and gonorrhoea if you’ve had anal (in your bottom) sex.
- Wash and dry your hands before opening the sample kit.
- Unpack your kit and lay it out on a clean surface.
- Find a position that is comfortable for you. Lifting one foot onto a chair or toilet seat can be helpful for some people
- Gently insert the swab a few centimeters into your anus
- Holding the swab around 3-4cm from the top will help you insert it far enough, but not too far.
- Twist the swab around gently around 5-10 times and then gently pull out.
- Pop the swab back inside its tube.